Summer of Code got off to a slow start for me; apologies for the radio silence so far. I expected to be slightly delayed in posting updates initially; I didn’t expect it to take this long.
So today is Saturday, June 2nd. The day coding was supposed to start, May 28th, I was in Milford, DE, at a friend’s bonfire/sleepover. Wednesday was spent at Rehoboth beach (tough life, I know…), and I didn’t get back until 11pm. Thursday I did get work done, but there was a power outage Thursday night around 11:30 pm. Yesterday, Friday, was my 20th birthday. I spent the morning in Philadelphia, and then had an amazing dinner and evening with friends.
Luckily, all is not lost! I actually started working on my project towards the beginning of May, before my final exams (I was bored!). It looks like Google hasn’t had time to get the SoC-specific repositories for students up and running, so for the time being, I’m hosting my project in my personal Subversion repository.
The source code is here:
svn co http://svn.eschew.org/projects/mozilla/jp2/
The good news is that it works for me when I compile it as part of a debug build of Firefox. The bad news is that it doesn’t work (installs fine, doesn’t seem to actually do anything) when I take the resulting XPI and install it on another computer with a fresh, non-debug Firefox 3.0a6 build. And because it’s not a debug build, there’s no easy way I can figure out what’s going wrong.
So, my plans for the next few days:
- Make a debug build of Firefox on my Dad’s laptop
- Make sure the XPI is functional on vanilla trunk nightlies
- Build Firefox (and then render-jp2) on Mac OS X and Linux